Thank you for your interest in our REU program. However, funding for the LA-SiGMA grant ends in January 2016, and therefore, we will not have a 2016 REU program.
We encourage you to apply to the REU program of the new NSF grant, and LA-SiGMA successor, Consortium for Innovation in Manufacturing and Materials (CIMM).
If you are:
- a college student graduating at least one semester after completion of the REU, or a high school senior attending college in the Fall
- interested in a major that is within the computational science umbrella (leaves out few majors as it includes all sciences, mathematics, engineering, etc.),
- with at least a 2.75 GPA,
- considering a career in research and/or graduate school in your major, and
- a US citizen or a permanent resident.
To apply you MUST complete the following steps:
- Complete the Online application. (Each student must complete only one application; this puts the applicant in a central pool for each of the 6 campuses. Faculty will choose REU participants based on preferences students list on application.)
- Send an e-mail with a 500 word statement as an attachment in "PDF" format covering the following:
- Your career goals
- Why you chose your major.
- Why you believe you will benefit from a research experience.
- Contributions you could make to the research group you are applying to work with.
- Which project(s) you are interested in.
- In your online application, provide the name and e-mail addresses of two faculty members at your college or university. We will directly send them a request for a recommendation letter via a personalized link. Please ask the faculty to agree to make sure you get to give a presentation about your REU experience at your university (for example, at a student organization meeting, seminar series, or in his/her class).
- Send a copy of your current college transcript by:
- Get a copy of your transcript from your college/university's Registrar's office. We won't accept screenshots or "save as" transcripts obtained from the university's website.
- Scan the transcript and email it to Staci Kramer at the email address below.
- If you are a high school senior attending college in the Fall, please scan your high school transcript.
LA-SiGMA REU Program Office
Either by e-mail:
sckramer AT lsu DOT edu, e-mail subject: REU Applications,
340 E. Parker Blvd.
LSU CCT Digital Media Center
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
Fax: (225) 578-5362, Attn. Staci Kramer
To be considered as an applicant, you need to submit all the required documents by application deadline of March 1, 2015.
For questions or concerns regarding these requirements, please don't hesitate to contact Staci Kramer at sckramer -at- lsu.edu, or at (225) 578-5381.
Dates for 2015 REU Programs:
- Louisiana State University: May 25 - August 1
- Tulane University: May 25 - August 1
- Louisiana Tech University: June 1 - July 31
- Southern University: May 31 - August 1
- University of New Orleans: May 26 - July 24
- Xavier University: June 1 - August 1
Students who meet the above requirements and complete the entire application process will be considered for selection. Selection for the REU will be made by faculty and research staff of LA-SiGMA.
Successful applications will receive a competitive stipend and on campus housing. Stipends will be $4500.00 for the nine or ten week period. The award will also pay up to $400 for travel expenses. Housing will be in university apartments or dorms, depending on the REU site.