Thank you for your interest in our RET program. However, funding for the LA-SiGMA grant ends in January 2016, and therefore, we will not have a 2016 RET program.
We encourage you to apply to the RET program of the new NSF grant, and LA-SiGMA successor, Consortium for Innovation in Manufacturing and Materials (CIMM).
- are a middle school, high school or community college teacher currently teaching math, science, or technology
- have at least a bachelor's degree in math, science, education, or engineering
- are interested in materials science and computational science
- able to conduct on-site research during the entire 6 weeks of the program
To apply you MUST complete the following steps:
- Complete the Online application.
- Send an e-mail with a 500 word statement as an attachment in "PDF" format covering the following:
- What are your professional development goals and how do you think this summer program will help you to meet them?
- How do you envision using this research experience in your classroom? How will the experience influence your classroom?
- What else makes you a good candidate for this program?
- Which project(s) you are interested in.
- Have one letter of recommendation from your current principal or head of school submitted via an online link. We will send this link to the e-mail address you provide us on the online application above.
- If you have been teaching for 10 years or more, no transcripts are required. If you have been teaching for less than 10 years,
you must submit a transcript for each college or university from which you have received a degree:
- Unofficial transcripts and photocopies of official transcripts are acceptable.
- Scan the transcript in and email it to Lindsay Gouedy at the email address below.
- One copy of your state or local science teacher certification or license or proof of eligibility (private and parochial school applicants may submit copies of college transcripts indicating sufficient coursework to be eligible for a science license and/or certificate).
LA-SiGMA Outreach Coordinator
Either by e-mail:
lgouedy -at- latech.edu, e-mail subject: RET Applications,
LA-SiGMA - LA Tech University
P.O. Box 10198 T.S.
Reese Hall 125
Ruston, LA 71272,
Fax: 318-257-2562, Attn. Lindsay Gouedy
To be considered as an applicant, you need to submit all the required documents by application deadline of March 8, 2015.
For questions or concerns regarding these requirements, please don't hesitate to contact Lindsay Gouedy at lgouedy -at- latech.edu.
Teachers who meet the above requirements and complete the entire application process will be considered for selection. Selection for the RET will be made by faculty and research staff of LA-SiGMA.
Successful applications will receive a competitive stipend. The total budget for the RET program is $7,000 per teacher which includes up to $1,000 in travel, the RET stipend, materials and supplies, housing (if needed), meals, and materials and supplies for your classrooms. The specifics of the breakdown of the total amount among these categories may be determined in consultation with the teachers. Stipends will be for the full-time six-week period, split into two or more checks depending on the host campus.